1 set up for use; "install the washer and dryer"; "We put in a new sink" [syn: instal, put in, set up]
2 put into an office or a position; "the new president was installed immediately after the election"
- instal (UK, except in computing, where install is commonly used)
- To connect, set up or prepare something for use
- I haven't installed the new operating system yet because of all the bugs.
- To admit formally into an office, rank or position.
- He was installed as Chancellor of the University.
- To establish or
- I installed myself in my usual chair by the fire.
set something up for use
admit formally into a position
- A computer software utility that is run to install a software
application. Also used as an adjective.
- After inserting the disk, you need to run the install.
Installation can be used to refer to:
- Installation (computer programs), the act and the effect of putting a program in a computer system to be run.
- Installation (mobile applications), the act and the effect of putting an application in a mobile phone system to be run.
- The ceremony or process of placing a person into an office or position of dignity. Commonly used to refer to the ceremony in Freemasonry of elevating a Master Mason to be Worshipful Master (leader) of the Lodge.
- Installation art, art that, through the use of sculptural materials and other media, seeks to modify the way we experience a particular space
- Install (equipment), to place, position, or fit into a position and then to connect, change, or modify in such a manner as to bring (the equipment) into service. For example to install a radio transmitter in a vehicle or to install an office intercom.
- Install, 2004 movie starring Japanese actress Aya Ueto
- A military base may be known as an installation
install in German: Installation
install in Spanish: Instalación
install in French: Installation
install in Korean: 설치
install in Italian: Installazione
install in Russian: Инсталляция
install in Finnish: Asennus
allocate, anoint, assign, base, bring up, broach, build, build in, chair, christen, collocate, connect, constitute, crown, deploy, dispose, effect, effectuate, emplace, enlist, enroll, enthrone, establish, fit, fix, float, form, found, get a fix, ground, home in on, inaugurate, incept, induct, initiate, instate, institute, introduce, invest, launch, lay the foundation, lift up, localize, locate, materialize, navigate, ordain, organize, pin down, pinpoint, pitch, place, place in office, plant, position, put, put in, put in place, put up, raise, realize, ring in, seat, set, set agoing, set on foot, set up, settle, sign on, sign up, situate, spot, start going, start up, throne, triangulate, turn on, usher in, vest, zero in on